BC celebrates Disability Employment Month in September; that is why Accessible Jobs decided to have an exclusive post this week to talk about the importance of disability employment. The purpose of Disability Employment Month is to promote employment inclusion for people who experience disability and celebrate the many and varied contributions of workers with disabilities. Disability Employment Month is an appropriate time to educate about disability employment issues and celebrate the many and diverse contributions of British Columbian workers with disabilities.
Here is a quick overview of facts released by the BC Government page:
- Approximately 334,000 British Columbians, aged 15 to 64 years, self-identify as having a disability.
- The unemployment rate for people with disabilities is 4.5 percentage points higher than for people without disabilities, and they are more than twice as likely to live in poverty as someone without a disability.
- A Job Accommodation Network study found that more than half of 1,100 employers of people with disabilities benefitted from increased overall company morale and productivity.
- Almost 90% of consumers prefer companies that employ people with disabilities, according to a study cited in a 2012 Conference Board of Canada report.
- The provincial government offers several services and programs that support job seekers and employees with disabilities and employers who want to build an inclusive workplace, including:
- Employment Program of BC
- WorkBC Employment Services Centres
- [email protected]
- Community Action Employment Plan
- There are 84 WorkBC Employment Services Centres throughout the province that serve British Columbians, including people with disabilities.
Studies reveal that people with disabilities can bring unique skills and experience to the workplace. Celebrating Disability Employment Month and encouraging companies to create inclusive and diverse workplaces creates more job opportunities for people with disabilities. Hence, people with disabilities can play an essential role in society, contribute to the economy, earn money and provide for their family, just like anybody else.
We at Accessible Jobs commemorate and appreciate the contribution of people with disabilities at workplaces and always try to partner with companies to enhance the job opportunity pool on our platform. Our mission is to raise employers' awareness to benefit from the many advantages of adding workers with disabilities to their company's working fleet.
Join us this month and create your profile on our website and post your job opportunities to hire people with disabilities in your business. We are stronger when we are together!